Paleo Pop Tarts
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Cassava Flour
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp 0.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Organic Coconut Oil, solid, not melted
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Eggs, whisked
- 0.333 cup 0.333 cup 0.333 cup Water, cold
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Egg Whites, whisked until frothy
- 0.5 cup 0.5 cup 0.5 cup Strawberry Preserves (click for recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the cassava flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg, water, and maple syrup. Stir just until dough comes together.
- Form dough into a ball.
- Roll dough out on a cassava floured surface in a 12"x12" rectangle. (I recommend using a ruler to measure and cutting off excess with a pizza cutter to get it nice and square.)
- Cut the dough into twelve 3"x4" rectangles with a pizza cutter.
- Run a thin spatula underneath the rectangles to make sure they aren't sticking to the counter.
- Brush the tops of all the rectangles with beaten egg white.
- On half of the rectangles, place a heaping tablespoon of preserves.
- Top with the other rectangles, egg white side down against the preserves.
- Crimp all the edges with a fork.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg white.
- Cut 2-3 vents on the top of each pop tart.
- For very neat-looking pop tarts, cut off excess dough on the edges of the tarts to create nice straight edges.
- Carefully transfer the pop tarts to greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
I prefer Otto's brand cassava for best results with this recipe.