ready in:2 hours
Show nutritional information
- Serves: 3
- Calories: 1280
- Total Fat: 59g
- Total Carbohydrate: 5g
- Protein: 158g
Osso Buco (also known as ossobuco, Italian for “bone with a hole”) is an amazing dish, but can definitely come off as intimidating for the occasional home cook. While it is often served at fancier restaurants, it is very easy to make at home—and can even be created using one dish! Osso buco is traditionally made with veal shanks, but in this case we’ve used beef. We think you'll enjoy this dish whether you prepare it to impress, or just to enjoy on a casual night in at home.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- 3 lb 3 lb 3 lb Beef Shank, approximately 3 1-lb shanks
- 0.33 cup 0.33 cup 0.33 cup Avocado Oil
- 1 1 1 Raw Carrot, chopped
- 1 1 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 1 1 Celery, stalk, chopped
- 3 cloves 3 cloves 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp 1.5 Tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup White Wine
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup free range Chicken Broth
- 1 sprig 1 sprig 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 1 sprig 1 sprig 1 sprig fresh Thyme
- 1 1 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Whole Cloves
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Prepare a bouquet garni using rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, and cloves, and tie in cheesecloth.
- Heat avocado oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat, and pat dry beef shanks and season with salt and pepper.
- Sear shanks for 2-3 minutes on each side, and remove from dutch oven.
- Add in vegetables and sear until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, and quickly stir throughout.
- Return shanks to dutch oven, add wine, and simmer until liquid reduced by half, approximately 5 minutes. Next add chicken stock, ghee, and bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 2 hours, turning shanks every 15-20 minutes.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.