Halibut en Papillote
“En papillote” means to cook in paper. For this recipe we steam fish, vegetables, and herbs in parchment paper to create a complete dish. This results in a meal full of flavor, lightly cooked, in a quick amount of time.
- Preheat oven to bake at 400°F.
- Rinse halibut under cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place individual pieces of halibut on their own large sheet of parchment paper (approximately 15" x 15").
- Sprinkle halibut with black pepper.
- Top with shallot, lemon, and garlic scapes (about 2 scapes per cut of fish).
- Moving from one end to the other, roll the parchment paper inward toward the halibut, creating a sealed “pouch” for the fish.
- Place on baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes (this is for a 1-inch-thick cut of fish—adjust the time according to thickness).
Open the parchment with caution, as there will be hot steam inside. Feel free to create this recipe using any cut of fish you like, and additional vegetables if desired. You can also use different cuts of meat for en papillote as well (adjust cook time accordingly).