Grilled Shrimp, Citrus and Fennel Salad
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 0.25 cup 0.25 cup 0.25 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Shallot, minced
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Fennel Seed, crushed, with juices (canned)
- 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp 0.25 tsp Black Pepper
- .5 tsp .5 tsp .5 tsp Sea Salt
- 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp 0.125 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Raw Shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Clementine, oranges, peeled and sliced crosswise into thin round discs
- 6 cup 6 cup 6 cup Arugula
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Fennel, bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- .5 cup .5 cup .5 cup Cilantro
- .35 cup .35 cup .35 cup Slivered Almonds
- To make the dressing, whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, shallot, salt, fennel seeds, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Pour half of the dressing into a small container and set aside. Add the peeled, deveined shrimp to the bowl with the remaining dressing, and marinate it at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Grill the shrimp cooked through but not overdone, about 1 minute per side. Set the shrimp aside.
- Put the arugula, sliced fennel and cilantro in a large bowl. Add the grilled shrimp, orange slices and sliced almonds and then drizzle the dressing you set aside earlier over the salad. Gently toss the ingredients together, divide between four large plates and serve.
The citrus vinaigrette already lends this salad plenty of flavor, but I like to serve it with a spoonful of guacamole to add extra healthy fat and a spicy kick.