Grain-Free Pie Crust
If you're looking for a totally foolproof, incredibly versatile, and completely delicious grain-free pie crust, this recipe is for you!!
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Egg Whites, or 2 Tbsp egg replacement of choice
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Almond Milk, cold, or water
- 1.5 cup 1.5 cup 1.5 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- .375 cup .375 cup .375 cup Coconut Flour, (1/4 cup + 2 TBSP)
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Salt
- .25 cup .25 cup .25 cup Unsalted Butter, must be cold
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the almond flour, coconut flour and salt a few times to break up all of the clumps.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and almond milk or water.
- Add the butter and pulse 5-7 times until it is broken into clumps slightly smaller than a pea.
- With the processor running, add the egg/water mixture in a thin stream until the dough forms a ball of dough.
- Turn off the machine and let it sit for 15 seconds before proceeding (this allows the flour to absorb the moisture from the buttermilk)
- Turn the dough out on to a piece of wax or parchment paper, gather into a ball and press into a thick disc. Cover with another piece of wax or parchment paper and roll into a flat disc about 10"-11" in diameter. Loosen the parchment from both sides of the dough and then carefully slide the dough into a lightly greased 9" pie or tart pan. Alternately, you can simply turn the dough directly into a greased pie pan and use the heel of your hand to gently spread the dough.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (and up to overnight) before using.
- To pre-bake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Once preheated, transfer the pan from the fridge to the oven without letting it warm to room temperature and bake for 10 minutes until the edges begin to turn slightly golden. Remove from oven and cool slightly before filling and finishing the baking process. (Note: If the recipe does not call for pre-baking the pie shell, skip this step)
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.