Farmers Market Winter Soup
Winter is about to begin and the farmers market seems empty and depleted, but you can still get all the ingredients needed to make wonderful soups. This is the time of plentiful greens and sweet winter squashes, tender leeks and juicy carrots whose flavors blend beautifully into this easy, flavorful soup. Can be made ahead ad frozen.
Serves: 8Serves: 8
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a 8 quart stock pot melt the fat on a low flame.
- Add the smashed garlic and cook until you start smelling the fragrance.
- In the meantime chop the onion coarsely.
- Now add onion to the pot and stir well.
- Continue stirring occasionally until onion has wilted and turned translucent.
- In the meantime cut celery and carrot into 1/2 inch slices.
- Raise flame to medium and add celery and carrots to the pot.
- Stir well and cook stirring occasionally until they start wilting.
- Cut leeks into 1/2 inch slices and add to the pot, stir well.
- In the meantime clean the butternut squash from seeds and peel. you can use a regular potato peeler for this, it will make it easier.
- Now cut it into 1 inch cubes.
- Add the Squash to the pot and stir well. By now all the vegetables should be well wilted and softened.
- In the meantime heat 2 quarts of water in a pot of kettle.
- Now add the 2 quart of water to the pot, you can see how much liquid you would like in the soup, if you like it thicker or more liquid, and add more or less water accordingly.
- Add the salt and red pepper flakes.
- Stir well, now raise flame until a rolling boil is achieved.
- Now lover flame to bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Wash Kale and remove hard stems. Chop roughly or tear by hand into bite size pieces.
- Add Kale to the soup and cook for 5 more minutes.
- You can serve the soup whole or blend with an immersion blender for a vegetable puree soup.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more
about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com
Popular on Primal Palate this week
Our New Cookbook!
Other recipes you might like
2 made this
Ready in 20 minutes
4 made this
Ready in 2 hours
8 made this
Ready in 1 hour and 30 minutes
Share a recipe
Upload your own recipes to Primal Palate, and help others find great food on our site,, meal planner and app!
Primal Palate Cooking Channel