Duck a l’Orange
cook:1 hour and 45 minutes
- 2 2 2 Onion, cut into large chunks
- 5 5 5 Carrots, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1 head 1 head 1 head Celery, cut into chunks
- 5 lb 5 lb 5 lb whole roasted with skin Duck
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Duck Fat
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Free Range, Low Sodium) Chicken Broth (Organic
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp ground Coriander
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Cumin
- 3 sprigs 3 sprigs 3 sprigs Thyme
- 3 sprigs 3 sprigs 3 sprigs Parsley
- 1 1 1 Orange, quartered
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees, and place rack in the middle position.
- Place carrot, celery, and onion in the bottom of a large roasting pan or dutch oven.
- Rinse duck under cool water, being sure to rinse out the body cavity as well.
- Pat entire duck dry, including the body cavity.
- Rub duck with duck fat, inside and out.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over entire duck, including the body cavity.
- Rub duck with spice mixture.
- Place a few chunks of onion, celery, and carrot inside the duck, leaving room for the herbs and orange.
- Stuff duck with the fresh herbs, and half of the orange-cut into quarters.
- Place duck over the vegetables in the roasting pan, and roast for 30 minutes at 475.
- After 30 minutes, pour chicken stock and the juice of half the orange over the vegetables in the bottom of the pan, and turn oven down to 350.
- Roast duck until thermometer reads 170 in the thigh, about 1 to 1 1/4 hours more.
- Remove duck from oven, allow to rest for 15 minutes, carve, and serve.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.