Crispy Hash Browns
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2" pieces.
- Heat a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat, and add 1 Tbsp of the fat.
- Carefully add the potatoes (the oil may spatter), and stir every few minutes. Lower the heat slightly as necessary.
- After 10 minutes, sprinkle with the salt and continue to stir, adding fat 1 Tbsp at a time as needed.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Mix evenly, and dust the potatoes with the spices. Stir if necessary.
- Continue to cook until the potatoes are golden brown and soft in the center.
The trick to this dish is balancing the heat and the amount of fat in the pan. The potatoes need to be stirred every few minutes. If you walk away and do something else, they will almost surely burn. Add fat occasionally to keep them sauteeing nicely.