Coq au Vin in the Slow Cooker How to Make it Perfectly
Coq au Vin - a classic of French cooking. Here we use the convenience of the slow cooker so you can come home to a house full of magnificent aromas, all ready to eat. Crock pot cooking is forgiving and an 8 hour cook won't make any discernible difference to the dish.
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Bacon, thick and chopped into pieces
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Sea Salt
- 1 bunch 1 bunch 1 bunch Black Pepper, ground
- 1 pieces 1 pieces 1 pieces Whole Chicken
- 20 pieces 20 pieces 20 pieces Onion, baby or 4 onions, quartered
- 0.5 lb 0.5 lb 0.5 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced or button mushrooms
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Carrots, chopped
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Celery, chopped
- 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp 4 Tbsp Gluten Free Flour (Better Batter), all purpose (plain)
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Free Range, Low Sodium) Chicken Broth (Organic
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups red Wine, dry
- 2 pieces 2 pieces 2 pieces Bay Leaf
- 2 sprig 2 sprig 2 sprig fresh Thyme
- 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp 3 Tbsp Parsley, additional, to garnish
- 2 cloves 2 cloves 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- In a heavy-based frypan or pot over a medium heat, place the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook, stirring until brown, about 2 minutes. Reserve the bacon.
- Season the chicken pieces and divide into two batches. Place the first batch in the bacon drippings. Cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the second batch, again draining on kitchen paper. To the pan drippings, add the onions and toss for 2 minutes before adding the mushrooms, carrots and celery. Toss for a further 2 minutes.
- Place the browned vegetables and chicken in the crock pot. Meanwhile add the flour to the pan drippings and cook until lightly browned about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add in the chicken stock and red wine until smooth. Pour the red wine sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the crock pot.
- Add the herbs, garlic and tomato paste to the crock pot. Stir to combine and set on the low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Turn off and allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving. Serve, garnished with parsley.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week