Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread with Pecan Streusel
This is a banana bread masterpiece. It has the taste and texture of a decadent, fudgy, moist chocolate swirl banana bread with a crunchy caramelized pecan streusel, but is very low in sugar and only calls for whole, unprocessed ingredients like raw honey, cacao, bananas and almonds. Enjoy a slice with a piping hot cup of afternoon tea or after a good workout.
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Banana, very ripe
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Egg
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Almond Meal/Flour
- 0.33 cup 0.33 cup 0.33 cup Flax Seed Meal
- 5.5 Tbsp 5.5 Tbsp 5.5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, (80g) - divided: 3.5 Tbsp for the bread batter, 2 Tbsp to melt the chocolate
- 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp 1.5 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 oz 2 oz 2 oz Dark Chocolate, (80% or higher)
- 3.5 Tbsp 3.5 Tbsp 3.5 Tbsp Raw Honey, divided: 2 Tbsp for the bread batter, 1.5 Tbsp for the pecan streusel
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, pure and organic
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Pecans, coarsely chopped
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a medium-sized bread loaf pan (I used a 8.5x4.5 inch loaf pan).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond flour, flax meal and baking soda.
- Melt 3.5 Tbsp of unsalted butter in a saucepan on low heat and incorporate 2 Tbsp of raw honey, stirring constantly. Remove from heat when the mixture starts to bubble and thicken. Let cool a few minutes.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl until there are as little lumps as possible. Incorporate the melted butter and honey mixture, and add the egg and vanilla extract, whisking until well combined. Add to the mixing bowl with the flours and combine to make a smooth batter. This is the banana bread base.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate with the remaining 2 Tbsp of butter, stopping to stir every 30 seconds, until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth (about 1:30 minute). Take about 1/3 of the banana bread batter and mix it with the melted chocolate.
- Transfer the batters to the greased loaf pan, alternating between the two. I drop about 3 tbsp of one batter, then switch to the other and go on until all the batter is used up, and lightly use the back of a spoon to create a swirl.
- For the pecan streusel, mix in a small bowl the coarsely chopped pecans with the remaining 1.5 Tbsp of raw honey. Drop chunks of streusel on top of the banana bread. It will caramelize and become crunchy as it bakes.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 60 minutes. Cooking times can vary depending on your oven, you want to take the banana bread out when a knife inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before slicing. This will allow for the moisture to spread evenly in the bread. I also like to put mine for an hour in the refrigerator so it hardens a little and is easier to slice.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.