Chinese Pulled Pork Barbecue
This recipe mixes influences of American pulled pork and popular Chinese flavors, hence the name: Chinese Pulled Pork. It's not exactly Char Siu, either. The flavors of this dish are decidedly Chinese, though - and we think you're going to love it! Try it over stir fry, like we've shown here, or topped on your favorite grain-free / gluten-free bun.
- 4 lb 4 lb 4 lb Pork Shoulder
- 16 oz 16 oz 16 oz free range, organic Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp 2 Tbsp Lard
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Remove your pork shoulder from the refrigerator about 15 minutes prior to cooking.
- Rub the pork shoulder down with the chinese five spice blend and pink salt. Make sure to cover all the sides.
- Heat the lard in a large cast iron skilled over medium high heat. Sear the pork shoulder on all sides for 2 minutes per side.
- Add the chicken stock to the instant pot, and press the "saute" button to get the stock simmering. Add the coconut aminos, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- When the pork shoulder is seared on all sides, add it to the Instant Pot and close the lid (locking the vent). Cancel the "saute" then press "Stew/Meat" and increase the time to 90 minutes.
- Cook for 90 minutes, then allow to rest for 10-15 minutes on warm after the programmed setting has concluded. Serve with your favorite stir fry (we have a great recipe on the site), or on your favorite gluten-free bun.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
Never Miss a Bite
Get recipes delivered to your inbox every week