Caldo de Langostinos (Mexican Squat Lobster Soup)
Serves: 4Serves: 4
- 2 whole 2 whole 2 whole Dried Chiles, Anaheim, Guajillo
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Onion
- 2 clove 2 clove 2 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 14.5 oz 14.5 oz 14.5 oz Tomato, 1 can; whole, crushed, or died
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 13 oz 13 oz 13 oz Clams, 2 cans, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup free range Chicken Broth
- 2 cup 2 cup 2 cup Water
- 1 1 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 lb 2 lb 2 lb Raw Shrimp, or pre-cooked, can also use shelled langostinos
- 2 2 2 Raw Carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Tessemae's Hot Sauce / Wing Sauce, or red chili flakes, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped, to serve with
- Lime, wedge, to serve with
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Soak your chiles in water for 30 minutes, then cut off the stems and remove the seeds.
- In a food processor, blend the chiles, onion, garlic, oregano, and canned tomatoes.
- In a pot, warm 1 tsp olive oil on med/low heat for a minute or two, then add the puree. Simmer for six minutes, until aromatic, stirring constantly so that it doesn’t splatter everywhere.
- Add the juice from the canned clams, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 cups water, and a bay leaf. Simmer for five minutes, allowing the flavors to marry.
- In the meantime, get your langostinos ready and dice up the carrots.
- Add the carrots and continue to simmer for five more minutes.
- Add the langostinos and clams, allow it to return to a simmer, then turn off the heat, cover, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Prior to serving, add salt and pepper to taste. If you want to make it a little spicier, add red chili flakes or some hot sauce. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more
about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com
Popular on Primal Palate this week
Our New Cookbook!
Other recipes you might like
3 made this
Ready in 2 hours
3 made this
Ready in 6 hours to 8 hours
1 made this
Ready in 4 hours and 30 minutes to 6 hours and 30 minutes
Share a recipe
Upload your own recipes to Primal Palate, and help others find great food on our site,, meal planner and app!
Primal Palate Cooking Channel