Butternut Squash Breakfast Hash
This paleo take on breakfast hash combines the classic fall flavors of butternut squash and rosemary with breakfast sausage and eggs for a savory breakfast that is both nutritious and filling. Instead of the usual white or sweet potato hash, this paleo breakfast hash uses butternut squash to give the dish a slightly sweet flavor that pairs well with the savory sausage and runny eggs.
- 1 lb 1 lb 1 lb Sausage Links, Or regular breakfast sausage
- 3 whole 3 whole 3 whole Pastured Eggs
- 0.5 whole 0.5 whole 0.5 whole Butternut Squash, Diced into small pieces
- 1 whole 1 whole 1 whole Leek, chopped
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Crimini Mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 sprig 1 sprig 1 sprig fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups Spinach
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage into the skillet to brown.
- While the sausage is cooking, chop up the squash and other ingredients. Once the sausage is browned, remove it from skillet and set aside for later.
- Leaving the fat from the sausage in the skillet, toss in the butternut squash pieces and cook until it starts to just turn tender, stirring occasionally (about 10-12 minutes). Add in the leek after the squash has cooked for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the mushrooms, garlic, rosemary and spinach to the squash and stir everything together until the spinach starts to wilt down.
- Next, make small divots in the hash for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the divots and cover the skillet to let the eggs cook for a few minutes. Watch the eggs closely, if you want runny yolks (like I do) you will need to serve them as soon as the whites turn white because the yolks will harden quickly after that.
- Spoon the eggs and hash mixture onto a plate and serve.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.