Broccoli Rabe and Italian Sausage
ready in:20 minutes
Show nutritional information
- Serves: 2
- Calories: 199
- Total Fat: 21g
- Total Carbohydrate: 2g
- Protein: 0g
Here’s an Italian classic that needs no adaptation to make it paleo.There are plenty of everyday meals that are paleo and many people don’t realize it. Broccoli rabe and sausage is one of them. Luckily for you it’s also an Italian dish. A lot of IBD sufferers say that broccoli brothers them. Yes, this leafy cousin of broccoli is packed with fiber, but for some reason it doesn’t bother me as much. Broccoli rabe (AKA rapini) is in the Brassicas family – with Brussels sprouts, cabbage, etc - and may trip up digestion a bit. And by ”trip up” I mean make you fart a lot. So for those of you UC/Crohn’s people who don’t want your stomach to blow up the size of a Macy’s day parade balloon…tread lightly. MANGIA!
Add a Note
My Notes:Add a Note
- 4 whole 4 whole 4 whole Mild Italian Sausage, sliced or crumbled
- 2 bunch 2 bunch 2 bunch Broccoli Rabe
- 2 clove 2 clove 2 clove Garlic, chopped
- 3 - 5 Tbsp 3 - 5 Tbsp 3 - 5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 whole 1/2 whole 1/2 whole Lemon, juice
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Lemon zest, to taste
- Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
Note, these instructions are written assuming the standard serving size, since you have modified the number of servings, these steps may need to be modified for best results
- Chop garlic.
- Cut the thick bottom of the stem off the broccoli rabe.
- Coat a skillet with a thin layer of olive oil and set on medium heat. Add sliced sausage and cook to brown the sausage.
- Lower to medium heat then add garlic.
- Saute for another minute and then add the broccoli rabe. Season with salt, crushed red pepper, and lemon zest.
- Toss the broccoli rabe in more olive oil and continue stirring occasionally. Cook on medium for about 15 minutes or until broccoli rabe is completely wilted.
Our recipes are created using Paleo, Primal and Gluten-free guidelines. Learn more about our diet and lifestyle at www.primalpalate.com.