Bacon – Cured Pork Belly
- 15 lb 15 lb 15 lb Pork Belly
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Salt, Coarse, kosher
- 6 tsp 6 tsp 6 tsp Salt - Pink Curing, (or celery juice powder)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Black Pepper, eyeball it. we coarsely milled ours in our coffee grinder for a few seconds.
- 6 6 6 Bay Leaf, crumbled
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Maple Sugar
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 15 cloves 15 cloves 15 cloves Garlic, Crushed
- Combine salt, maple sugar, maple syrup, and spices together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Rub mixture all over the pork belly, and place into ziploc bags, add in a clove of garlic for each pound of belly.
- Refrigerate the belly for 7 days. Flip the bags daily to ensure even dry rub contact.
- After 7 days, remove the belly from the bags, and rinse the dry rub off under cold water. Pat the pork belly dry.
- Smoke the belly for 2 hours at 200-220 degrees. If you don't have a smoker, cook in an oven for 90 minutes at 200 degrees.
- Refrigerate for an additional 12 hours or freeze, then cook as you would any other bacon, and serve.
The pink salt or powdered celery juice is important for the nitrite content. This not only keeps the bacon "safe" for consumption, but it also allows the bacon to keep it's beautiful red color while cooking.