Choosing this recipe to highlight this week was a no-brainer. We originally created it while working on Make it Paleo, just about a year ago – and have been in love with it ever since. Around that time, we also got word that it was selected to grace to cover of the first issue of Paleo Magazine. It was also the dish that we chose to make in our cooking demonstration for Paleo F(x) in March. And most recently, we decided to make a simpler version of grilled skirt steak for our friends at US Wellness Meats when we visited them a few weeks ago. We love this cut of meat, because it can be very tender and flavorful when cooked correctly. It also won’t break the bank, which doesn’t hurt either. If you’ve never had skirt steak, head over to US Wellness Meats’ site and order yourself some – you won’t be disappointed!
As a reminder, we’re continuing our little contest this week for a $100 USWM gift card. All you have to do is post a photo of your favorite beef dish to our Facebook fan page wall. Right now, there are only a few people entered, so it may be an easy way to snag $100 worth of grass-fed beef! Easy, right? Don’t delay, because you only have until Friday to post your photo! Limit 1 entry per day, and open to US residents only.
Packing quite the spicy kick, this recipe utilizes all the traditional seasonings of fajitas with cumin, chipotle, lime juice, and garlic. This recipe is so delicious you won't even notice the absence of a tortilla!
- 1 lb 1 lb Skirt Steak
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Cumin
- 4 cloves 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 1 Vidalia Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cup 2 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Salt
- 1/8 cup 1/8 cup Lime Juice
- Rinse skirt steak under cool water and pat dry.
- Carefully remove any remaining silver skin from the steak.
- Place steak in a 1-gallon ziplock bag and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, lime juice, salt, pepper, chipotle, cumin, and garlic.
- Pour marinade over steak, seal bag, and toss to evenly coat the entire skirt steak.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to 500°F, 10 minutes prior to cooking.
- Remove steak from the refrigerator and bring up to room temperature.
- Grill steak 3–4 minutes per side.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes after cooking, then cut steak in thin strips.
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat in a cast-iron skillet.
- Add vegetables and seasonings, and sauté until onions are translucent and peppers have softened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Turn oven to broil at 500°F, and raise oven rack to the top level.
- Place vegetables in cast-iron skillet under the broiler for 3–5 minutes.
- Serve steak topped with vegetables, and with a side of guacamole.