Bill and I decided to take the weekend and make one last escape to Stone Harbor for the summer. Something that I think we were both looking forward to more than the calm of the ocean for two days was the local farmers market on the island. Since this was a quick trip, we needed to come up with some simple meal ideas for the two days we would be there. We started off our mornings with our usual veggie scramble, and ended the day with local fresh fish and veggies on the grill, but the quick meal we want to highlight on this trip was the one we put together for lunch.
This meal took about 5 minutes to prepare, and ended up costing $3 per person for two days of lunch. It was also convenient enough for us to pack up for the beach and snack on while we read by the ocean. Simple, healthy, success!
On to the meal…
- 1 lb thinly sliced turkey breast from the deli. For this we chose Dietz and Watson turkey breast. This turkey is gluten free, seasoned with all natural spices and herbs, and does not contain MSG. I do however, want to note that the sodium content is rather high in deli meats, so this is something you might want to consider as being a food to eat in moderation. When choosing a sliced turkey breast, be sure that it is all natural, gluten free, and does not contain MSG.
- 1 medium/large tomato
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce (or other large leaf lettuce)
- Remove lettuce leaves and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Wash tomato, and thinly slice.
- Layer turkey breast and tomato on lettuce.
- Fold together and enjoy!
Feel free to add your own modifications as you wish. Enjoy with roast beef, ham, or chicken breast. Top with homemade mayonnaise or mustard.
These quick wraps are great to take on the road for a quick lunch, whether your daily travels are the beach or work, or make a few in the morning and leave in the fridge for quick snacks throughout your day at home.