Bill and I have been toying with the idea of stuffing mushrooms for a few weeks. We wondered if we should create an entree using the portabella mushroom caps, or an appetizer using the baby bellas. Although we knew we wanted to stuff them with meat or fish, we were undecided as to which herbs and seasonings should go in. Finally, after a successful morning at the gym, we took a quick trip to Whole Foods, hoping to spend an afternoon snowed in and creating a delicious entree. After too much thinking on the matter, we were going with our gut instinct, hoping to create something tasty.
Upon walking into the produce section at Whole Foods (which is about as tempting to me as walking into the shoe section at Nordstrom), Bill spotted gorgeous portabella mushroom caps, stem and all. We grabbed just enough for dinner, along with a few other staple items we needed before the snowstorm hit (more colorful veggies, Swiss Water Processed Decaf, coconut oil, and bacon…no bread, no milk, and it’s a good thing we didn’t need TP-because that would have been forgotten!), and hit the road.
For this recipe we decided on a simple seasoning of ground turkey, and we chose to bake the stuffed mushrooms in the oven to complete this quick yet delicious meal.
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse mushroom caps under cold water and set aside.
- In a large non -frying pan, brown turkey meat on medium heat.
- Add seasoning and green onion, and continue to saute until green onions are soft.
- Remove from heat and add chopped tomato.
- Preheat oven to bake at 400.
- Place mushroom caps on a broiling pan, stem side up.
- Stuff mushroom caps with ground turkey mixture.
- Bake stuffed mushrooms for 7 minutes, or until turkey starts to brown on the top.
- Serve and enjoy.
These stuffed mushrooms were a fun way to spice up a simple dinner. It’s always nice to bring a little excitement back into the kitchen when you are used to the same routine. We will definitely be exploring other stuffed mushroom options in the future.