On our virtual shopping trip through US Wellness Meats, we couldn’t help but stop and drool over the grass fed bison tenderloin filets. We were new to the delicious wonders of buffalo meat, and knew this was a must have product for us!
Tressa made sure to tell us “do not share these with anyone”, so we knew they would be good. For this recipe we wanted the flavor and texture of the bison to shine, but we also wanted to create something a little more interesting than just a naked grilled bison filet (however, it was tempting to just do that). We knew that a marinade was out of the question for this recipe, and decided on a tasty stuffing for grilling.
This recipe was unbelievable. I’m pretty sure Bill and I both agree that we would willingly eat this every night of the week with no complaints whatsoever. The grass fed bison filets from US Wellness were so tender and juicy. They literally melted in our mouths. The flavors of the mushroom and onion stuffing, sauteed in a hint of balsamic vinegar complimented the flavors of the steaks beautifully. I think we will be dreaming of this recipe until we place our next order.
- 2 grass-fed bison tenderloin filets
- 1 package (about a cup and a half) of shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon unrefined, virgin coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a frying pan, melt coconut oil on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and mushrooms to the frying pan and saute until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have softened.
- Pour balsamic vinegar over mushrooms, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and continue to saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Rinse bison filets under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut a small pocket in each filet, leaving about 1/2 an inch between the pocket and the outside of the filet.
- Stuff the filets with the sauteed mushrooms and onion, leaving remaining mushrooms for garnish.
- Grill bison filets for 5-7 minutes per side.
- Top with sauteed mushrooms, and serve.
As always, enjoy!