It’s hard to tell if this post is really late for being posted today, or just extra early for being posted tomorrow (it’s dinner time on the East Coast), but I thought I’d share it with you all, all the same.
I love making little snacks for myself, and while already-prepared foods are really the simplest for me (and everyone else), it’s sometimes nice to just make something yourself and save a few bucks. These little snack bites (Hayley advised me to not call them “Balls” – hahaha!) are super tasty, take less than 10 minutes to make (5, if you are a super kitchen ninja), and are really filling. I’ve been sitting at the computer for hours on end lately, working on the “Best Paleo Recipes of 2015” ebook release, which is coming out in the new year. This year’s collection of contributors is EVEN BIGGER than last years, by a solid 50%. With the ebook surely eclipsing 500 pages, and almost 200 recipes, it’s going to be an incredible asset to the community of people looking for the best of the best Paleo recipes. For me, it means I’m going to be working my tail off all month getting it put together. If you want to stay up to date and get a notification when the eBook goes on sale, sign up for our email list. It will be announced there the day it becomes available!
Hey, here’s a Pinterest-ready image for ya! Hover (on desktop) or click (mobile) for the “pin it” icon
So today, after a couple hours of hard work, I really wanted to get into the kitchen and just create something tasty and shake off my computer-induced mental haze. I noticed we had a dozen medjool dates in the refrigerator, which I’ve used as the basis for snack “balls” before (sorry Hay), so I whipped up a batch with a little improv work.
The blue wintry light from the window really made these dates look amazing.
And then I added some shredded coconut.
It all got mixed together in the food processor, along with some vanilla protein power that we really like (optional, of course), and some of our Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Once it forms a ball, you remove it from the food processor, and start scooping it into balls with your #50 disher (aka: cookie scoop).
I polished off well over half the batch shortly after taking these photos, and there are a few more waiting for me to have after dinner tonight. I guess making dessert is sometimes also a way of earning it, at least in this house, it is.
Hope you all are having a fantastic week! Enjoy this recipe!
- 1.5 cups 1.5 cups 1.5 cups Dates (Medjool), (12-13 dates, pitted)
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup shredded Coconut
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Organic Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp 2 tsp 2 tsp Vanilla Protein Powder (Garden of Life Brand), (optional, if omitting, do 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Primal Palate Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Sea Salt, Finishing salt to taste, optional
- Remove the pits from the dates, and place in a food processor, along with the shredded coconut.
- Process the dates and coconut until finely ground up.
- Add the protein powder. If you'd rather not use (vanilla flavored) protein powder - not a problem. Just add 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract in its place.
- Add the coconut oil and Primal Palate Pumpkin Pie Spice, and blend until it forms a ball.
- Using your hands or a #50 disher (cookie scoop), roll or scoop into balls. Top with a sprinkling of our French Grey finishing Sea Salt, and save or serve immediately.