Many of you have seen us posting photos of some odd looking fruit. Some wanted to know if it was an apple, and were we cheating on The 21 Day Sugar Detox? Some asked if it was grilled because of the dark color, and some just asked “what is that?” The other week we were cruising around the produce section in Whole Foods and came across these tomatoes that were deep red, labeled “Kumatos.” They are also known as a brown tomato. We decided to grab them because, well, they are so beautiful that we couldn’t pass up the opportunity for a photo.
Kumatos look and taste wonderful in salads, so we threw together a quick salad for the detox using these delicious little beauties.
- 2 kumatos, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- A handful of fresh cilantro, lightly chopped
- A drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, lightly toss kumato, avocado, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lightly toss again to ensure all are equally seasoned.