Any avid foodie will tell you that if you love to bake, you MUST own a KitchenAid mixer. Few items have the storied, venerable history as KitchenAid and their famous line of mixers. While we were working on Make it Paleo, we were able to use my (Bill’s) mom’s old mixer, which still works just like the day she bought it, but we did not have one of our own. Crazy, right?! When we moved into our new place last fall, there was an obvious void we needed to fill: we needed a KitchenAid stand mixer! Last week, we finally completed our collection of kitchen necessities when we took delivery* of our gorgeous, Candy Apple Red, 7 quart, 1.3 horsepower KitchenAid Stand Mixer. This thing is truly a work of art. When we shot the video for the recipe below, my father remarked that the paint finish on the mixer looked like a beautiful paint job on a hot rod. He is right – the mixer is simply stunning!
- 6 6 6 Pastured Eggs
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Grade B Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Organic [*Spectrum Brand, sustainably sourced] Palm Oil Shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 cup 3 cup 3 cup Strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to bake at 350 degrees.
- In a standing kitchen mixer, blend eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Sift in coconut flour, salt, and baking soda, and continue to blend.
- Pour in melted palm shortening, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and parchment lined muffin tin.
- Bake shortcakes for 35 minutes, remove from oven, and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Whip heavy cream, and fold in diced strawberries.
- Slice off the tops of the shortcakes with a serrated knife.
- Spread whipped cream and strawberries over the bottom layer, place the top of the shortcakes back on top, and spread more of the cream and strawberries on top.
About our gorgeous new 7qt. KitchenAid Stand Mixer
KitchenAid has graciously provided not one but two stand mixers to us – one for us to use, and one for us to give away to one lucky follower! The specs on this beautiful new stand mixer are awe-inspiring:
• Their Most Powerful, Quietest Available – 1.3HP high efficiency DC motor is designed to run longer and delivers optimum torque with less heat build-up. Easily handles recipes requiring longer mixing, kneading and whipping times. The all-metal, precise gear design produces a smooth, quiet sound.
• Their Longest Lasting – Designed for long life of high performance; backed by 2 year hassle-free replacement warranty.
Of course, the average consumer might not feel the difference between 1.1 and 1.3 hp, or the micro-second response time. What they will feel, however, is that this machine is incredibly refined and operates like a fine swiss watch. We didn’t even need to get out my mom’s beloved 15 year old KitchenAid mixer for a comparison, we knew instantly that the claims of being quieter and more efficient were true beyond any shadow of a doubt. And even if there is any doubt in your purchase, the 2 year hassle-free replacement warranty is a great for peace of mind. All of the mixing accessories that come with this model are dishwasher safe for easy cleanup, although if you’re like us you’ll want to baby it and wash everything by hand anyway. In short, this stand mixer is an essential tool in the kitchen of anyone that likes to cook and bake!
And now, onto the giveaway!
This giveaway is part of the Pre-Senior PGA Championship efforts by KitchenAid. To celebrate the upcoming Senior PGA Championship presented by KitchenAid (May 22-27, 2012) KitchenAid and The Food Lovers Kitchen (horray, thats us!) are giving you a chance to win the largest capacity, newest, and most efficient KitchenAid® Stand Mixer! To enter, visit the special giveaway tab on our Facebook fan page and follow the easy steps. All you will need to do is follow KitchenAid_Golf on twitter, enter your email address, and then share the contest (either via Facebook or Pinterest). Thats easy, right? (For an alternate entry method, see below**) Oh, and the total prize value is $650! Plus, you can make bacon-chocolate chip cookies with it, which adds at least $500 to the value. Okay, that last part is a rough estimate, but you get the idea. This thing is amazing!