A couple weeks ago, we got an unexpected care package in the mail from our friends at Siete. They make awesome Cassava & Coconut Flour, and Almond Flour tortillas that are perfect for Paleo folks like us. Ever since they sent the tortillas to us, we’ve been making tons of meals with them. For a few days, we were totally lazy and went to Chipotle to get carnita salads, and bringing them back and making our own tacos. After realizing we were paying WAY more for the convenience, we decided to make some ourselves. We’re so glad we did, because not only did we save a lot of loot, they were also just better. I mean… yeah no shock there, most home cooked food is. Duh.
We thought it was an awesome time to use our Instant Pot. TONS of people have come to adore the Instant Pot, and with good reason. It’s like a pressure cooker and slow cooker all in one, with a lot of more advanced features. You can make hard boiled eggs in it (in like 5 minutes), you can make bone broth in it in 60 minutes. It’s a godsend! We like ours so much, we gave one to all our family members at Christmas. Seriously. This is the exact model* we got for ourselves and as Christmas presents.
So this recipe is super simple to make, and unless you’re a family of 8, you’re going to have extra for more meals (a big bonus here!) We paired this with our new Easy Avocado Salsa recipe, which is extremely tasty. It’s a concoction I came up with that blends my favorite parts of Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. The flavor of avocado, cilantro and lime, paired with some tomato, jalapeno, and red onion. It’s the best of both worlds, and an amazing flavor combination that’s perfect for these carnitas. We finish it off with the Siete tortillas, and some shredded lettuce. If you don’t have Siete tortillas, you can try making our Paleo Tortillas from Make It Paleo 2.
We hope you love these! Try them and let us know what you think!
- 4 lb 4 lb 4 lb Pork Shoulder
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups free range, organic Chicken Stock
- 5 cloves 5 cloves 5 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Onion, rough chopped
- 1 tsp 1 tsp 1 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 8 whole 8 whole 8 whole Cassava Flour Tortillas (Siete), or other grain free tortillas, or large lettuce leaves
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups Iceburg Lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups 2 cups 2 cups Easy Avocado Salsa (click for recipe)
- Place the pork shoulder in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Add the chicken stock or water to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the garlic cloves and roughly chopped onion. Season the top of the pork shoulder with salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid and cook on high pressure for at least 45 minutes. Depending on the size of your shoulder, it might take more or less time. Cook until the pork shreds easily with a fork.
- To make the tacos: warm the cassava flour tortillas over medium heat until pliable. Add a layer of shredded iceberg lettuce, then the carnitas, and top with our Easy Avocado Salsa. Serve immediately!
- 2/3 cup 2/3 cup 2/3 cup Roma Tomato, seeded and diced (about one large Roma tomato)
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Red Onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Lime Juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Cilantro, packed, and rough chopped
- 1 pinch 1 pinch 1 pinch Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Ground Fresh Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp 1 Tbsp Jalapeño
- 1 cup 1 cup 1 cup Avocado, diced
- Stir all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Start with the diced and seeded tomato, onion, lime juice and cilantro.
- Season with salt, pepper, and minced jalapeno.
- Add the diced avocado last. Stir together, and serve!
* This post contains affiliate links. Don’t worry, you don’t pay a dime extra! But a portion of the proceeds kick back to us and supports our site. Yay!