Today is Hayley’s birthday! For her birthday, we stayed up late last night making a cake with all natural ingredients. It is gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free and soy-free (essentially allergen-free)… OH, and its delicious too. The recipe below is an adaptation from one posted at Elana’s Pantry – a gluten-free food blog site which we both enjoy.
We hope you will enjoy this recipe when your big day comes up in the next year. We’ll certainly be making this cake again in three months for my birthday, too!
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (Made by Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 cup macadamia oil
- On very low heat melt chocolate chips and mix with macadamia oil.
- Cool in freezer about 15 min.
- Blend with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup organic raw honey
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In small bowl combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl blend with a hand mixer combine eggs, coconut oil, melted honey, and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and continue to blend.
- Grease two 9″ round baking pans (we used coconut oil cooking spray).
- Pour batter into (2) 9″ round baking pans. Divide evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool and remove from baking pans.
- Spread frosting on top of first layer.
- Lay second cake on top (frosted area).
- Frost top of entire cake, working from top down to the sides.
- Sprinkle cake with shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Sprinkle sides with left over chocolate chips.