What can be better than a big fresh salad? This is a simple meal that can be reinvented numerous ways. Bill and I are big salad lovers, and a fresh salad with a delicious piece of protein is always a goto lunch option for the work day. I love to have a heaping bowl of mixed greens, tossed with lots of raw chopped veggies, topped with some good lean protein, and a homemade dressing full of healthy fats. I will often pre-chop veggies and keep them in the fridge ready to top a bed of salad greens for a quick meal.
For this meal we added grilled chicken to the salad, but other great options would be salmon, shrimp, tuna, hard boiled eggs, or steak.
For the Salad
- Organic Spring Mix Salad Greens
- Red Onion
- Black Olives
- Grilled Chicken
- Balsamic Dressing
- Chop raw veggies into bite size pieces.
- Toss raw veggies with organic spring mix salad greens.
- Top with grilled chicken.
- Drizzle with balsamic dressing.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Garlic Powder
- Pour all ingredients into a jar and shake vigorously until well blended. (typically for a single serving I will use 1/2 to 1 whole table spoon of olive oil, and add vinegar and seasoning to taste.)
This is an easy delicious salad dressing. Another favorite of ours is the juice of half of a lemon, and flax seed oil. Another healthy dressing option is to use Hayley’s Famous Marinade.
Enjoy this salad, or use this recipe as inspiration to create a colorful salad of your own, full of raw veggies, lean protein and healthy fat. Enjoy!