This amazing meal is one of the few recipes we have created that contains some dairy. My aunt Justine first turned me on to this recipe. It was actually a special that was put together at Trader Joe’s, containing bruschetta, pesto, and goat cheese. This is a very simple sauce to create, and is ready to eat in about 5 minutes!
For this recipe, we made our own fresh basil pesto, but the bruschetta is from Trader Joe’s. If you do not have access to a Trader Joe’s, take on your own kitchen adventure, and make your own bruschetta!
For the pesto:
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 medium cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
**An optional addition to this recipe is adding in 1/2 a cup of parmesan cheese. Since we do not typically consume dairy, and the sauce includes goat cheese, we omitted this ingredient.
- In a food processor, pulse basil leaves and pine nuts.
- Add in garlic and continue to pulse.
- While the mixture is processing, slowly add in olive oil.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to blend until all ingredients are evenly blended.
- This recipe makes about a cup of pesto. It should keep for about a week. Adding a bit of olive oil to the top will create a protective barrier and the pesto will keep longer.
For the Sauce:
- 2 jars Trader Joe’s bruschetta
- 3 heaping tablespoons, or 1/4 cup fresh basil pesto
- 1 oz of goat cheese
- Spaghetti Squash
- In a sauce pan, pour in bruschetta and heat on medium.
- Prepare spaghetti squash by slicing in half, and microwaving for approx. 9 minutes. Once it cools, scoop out the squash with a fork.
- Add in pesto and goat cheese to saucepan with bruschetta.
- Bring mixture to a light boil, and turn down to simmer. Stir frequently until the bruschetta, pesto, and goat cheese are all combined into a creamy sauce.
- Toss with spaghetti squash and serve.
This pasta dish is great on its own, but grilled or baked chicken or salmon is a fantastic addition to the dish. Enjoy!