We are back and slowly recovering from the amazing weekend at AHS, as well as adjusting back to east coast time. Before we left for California, we had received a big order of unique meats from US Wellness Meats. Some of which were beef heart, beef liver, chicken livers, chicken feet, oxtail, and several other lean cuts of meat that are typically harder to cook properly.
We tackled a few of the less intimidating cuts before we left for Cali, and upon our return we started on the more interesting meats… organ meats! The first of the shipment that we decided to try were the flat iron steaks. These delicious steaks come in packages of 4, and although they have an interesting shape, they are extremely delicious!
For this recipe we decided on creating a new take on a tasty classic, breakfast steak and eggs. For this we wanted to try out a coffee marinade for the grilled steak, and top it all off with a fried egg. This meal was amazing, and although it makes for a great breakfast, we would gladly gobble this up at any meal during the day. In fact, I don’t think we’d be too quick to turn down a second round for a repeat meal one day.
- 4 US Wellness Meats ‘Flat Iron’ Steaks (1 package)
- 3/4 cup strongly brewed organic (SWP) decaffeinated coffee
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 4 omega 3 or pasture eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Once your coffee has brewed, allow it to chill in the fridge before adding it to the marinade.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine coconut aminos, chilled coffee, olive oil, garlic, shallot, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper.
- Whisk marinade ingredients to combine.
- Rinse steaks under cool water, pat dry, and place in a gallon ziplock bag.
- Pour marinade over steaks to evenly coat, seal bag, and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, or even up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill steaks 12-15 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove steaks from grill, and allow to rest.
- While steaks are resting, fry egg in coconut oil.
- Top each steak with it’s own egg and serve.
As always, enjoy!