Carrot souffle is one of my all time favorite side dishes. We made this grain free for the first time last Thanksgiving, and the recipe was so wonderful that we had to put it in Make it Paleo. My dads mom, my Grandma Jo (another cooking inspiration of mine) is the one who always made this fantastic dish. I was able to get the recipe from her a few years ago, and once I went grain free I knew I had to attempt to make this dish with some healthier substitutions.
The original recipe called for white flour and sugar. In our first version of the carrot souffle we substituted coconut flour for the white flour, and pure maple syrup for the sugar. Little did we know, this recipe does not need any added sweetener at all. You would absolutely not know the difference with or without it, so for The 21 Day Sugar Detox we decided to revisit this recipe without the added sweetener. It was amazing! I really think I could live on carrot souffle and mashed cauliflower for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. However, I would miss meat 🙂
- 2 pounds of carrots, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 quart of organic chicken stock (we used home made)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 pastured eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- In a large soup pot, boil carrots in chicken stock until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to bake at 350.
- Drain carrots from chicken stock, and place in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Puree carrots until smooth.
- Add coconut oil, lemon juice, eggs, salt, cinnamon, coconut flour, and vanilla to the food processor and continue to blend until smooth.
- Add minced onion and blend again just to evenly distribute the onion.
- Pour into a 2 quart souffle dish, lightly greased with coconut oil or grass fed butter.
- Bake uncovered for 45-60 minutes. Souffle should be firm to the touch before eating.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.