One of my all time favorite side dishes is mashed cauliflower. I actually prefer it to mashed potatoes (imagine that!) Many of you may have seen our recipe for Garlic and Herb Mashed Cauliflower, which is a really tasty recipe, however more often than not we make a basic mashed cauliflower because it is time efficient, and unbelievably delicious.
I’m really big on textures. I will often keep eating something because of the texture, or even crave a food for the texture rather than the taste. Mashed cauliflower is one of those foods. There is something so comforting about a hot bowl of mashed cauliflower topped with lightly seasoned ground meat. I could probably eat that meal everyday and never get sick of it. Bill really enjoys mashed cauliflower as well, however he includes starch in his diet more than I do, so he will usually have the real deal mashed potatoes. I do not feel left out or deprived, because, well, I would rather have the cauliflower anyway!
This is our basic recipe for mashed cauliflower. Feel free to add your own twist to it, but it is fantastic as is!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon of grass fed butter or coconut oil (both optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Rinse cauliflower under cool water.
- Trim florets from the base of the cauliflower.
- Place a steamer basket in a large soup pot and fill the bottom of the pot with water.
- Place cauliflower florets into the steamer basket, cover with a lid and turn burner onto medium heat.
- Steam cauliflower until fork tender. About 10-15 minutes.
- Place steamed cauliflower into a food processor or high speed blender.
- Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil if desired.
- Puree until smooth, and serve.
- Optional garnish is to top with chopped chives.