A few weeks ago we celebrated my Aunt Justine’s birthday. My Aunt Justi and I are extremely close. She had her first baby when I was eleven, and I spent every moment I could at her house helping her with her kids (great practice for when I have a baby one day!) My Aunt Justi has always been there for me to help guide me along the way when I was younger. I credit her for inspiring me to awaken my passion for healthy food, and she always tried to set a good example for me in the ways of healthy eating.
For my Aunt’s birthday, I really wanted to make her a special treat. She was avoiding certain foods due to some allergies, so I made sure that her birthday treat was free of refined sugar, dairy, and gluten – that’s not so hard in my kitchen! She reminded me that chocolate and raspberry is one of her favorite dessert combinations, and immediately I knew what I wanted to make for her. A simple, yet decadent dark chocolate dessert filled with fresh raspberries. I added a bit of coconut milk to the batter because coconut flour can be pretty dry, and adding more moisture seems to really help with that.
This dessert was a smash hit. My Aunt loved every bite, and best of all, she got to enjoy something sweet that fit with her allergy protocol on her birthday.
I love you Aunt Justi!
This rich, chocolate torte is a sweet ending to your meal. The fresh raspberries and chocolate ganache take this dessert from great to perfect.
- 6 6 Eggs, Pastured
- 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Maple Syrup, Grade B
- 1 tsp 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder, Organic
- 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Coconut Oil, Organic, melted
- 1 cup 1 cup Raspberries, Organic
- 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, blend eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut milk with a hand mixer.
- Add in salt, and baking soda, and continue to blend.
- Sift in coconut flour, and continue to blend until smooth.
- Add in cocoa powder and melted coconut oil, and blend until smooth.
- Fold in fresh raspberries.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan with coconut oil, and place parchment paper in the bottom of the pan for easy removal of the cake.
- Pour cake batter into the cake pan, smoothing the batter to create an even layer.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool, remove from pan, and frost with chocolate ganache.
- Add a few fresh raspberries for garnish on top, and enjoy.